Children’s developing bodies are especially vulnerable to toxins found in our food and environment. Switching to organic food has an immediate effect on the body. Within 36 hours, pesticides may no longer be detected in a childâ€™s urine.
Pesticide Exposure Has Been Shown to:
- cause low birth weight and birth defects;
- interfere with child development and cognitive ability;
- cause neurological problems;
- disrupt hormone function;
- cause a variety of cancers, including leukemia, kidney cancer, brain cancer, and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- A study published in the British Journal of Nutrition tested 815 2-year olds, and found those with an organic dairy diet experienced less eczema and wheezing than those consuming non-organic dairy.
- An organic plant-based nutrition program may help ADD sufferers.
- Pesticide levels in children raise in the winter when more food is imported.
- Amniotic fluid and breast milk can pass pesticides to the fetus and infant, so the mother should also follow an organic diet.
For more information:
- Organic Diet Cuts Kidsâ€™ Food Pesticide Levels â€” from WebMD.
- Organic A Choice For Our Children â€” a must-read from Dr. Greene.
- Childrenâ€™s Exposure to Pesticides and Related Health Outcomes â€“ A very comprehensive article from the EPA.
- Got Milk? How About Local Organic Milk? â€“ A short article from NRDC that tells you everything you need to know about milk.
Thank you to Patricia Wooster for providing a portion of the content in this post.