Our at-a-glance directory of the best green resources we can find. Bookmark it and use it as a cheat sheet.
Find Out Exactly What to Avoid for Greener, Safer Living
- 12 Products You Should Avoid – This list is a great starting point for eliminating toxic things from your life and protecting the earth.
- The Dirty Dozen – A list of the twelve most (and least) pesticide-contaminated produce items plus a printable wallet guide to take with you when you shop. Also, a primer on why it’s so important to limit exposure to pesticides in food.
Find Out Whether Your Body Products are Safe
- Safety Guide to Children’s Personal Care Products – find out which popular brands of children’s body care products contain hazardous chemicals and unsafe ingredients and which brands are safer.
- Cosmetic Safety Database – enter the skin care products that you use into this search engine to find out how safe they are. Get safety ratings for make-up, shampoo, nail polish, and more.
Find Out How to Stay Informed About Toy Recalls
- Consumer Product Safety Commission E-Alerts – subscribe to this list serve to be notified whenever infant/child products are recalled by the CPSC.
- Not in My Cart – bookmark this page and check back regularly for all the CPSC and FDA recalls in a simple list with a photo.
- Kids in Danger – sign up for e-alerts related to children’s product safety (a non-profit service).
Find Out More About Safe Toys
- HealthyToys.org – nominate your toy to be tested by the Ecology Center for lead, PVC, arsenic and other harmful chemicals.
Find Out About Green Decor on a Budget
- How to Build a Green Nursery on a Non-Celeb Budget – This is useful advice for bigger kid’s rooms, too.
Find Out How to Reuse, Reduce, and Recycle
- TerraPass Cell Phone Recycling Program – send them your cell phone and they’ll recycle it for you and send you a gift certificate to offset the carbon emissions from your car, home or business. They pay phone shipping costs.
- Earth 911 – enter your zip code on the homepage to find recycling centers for more than 20 types of items – from antifreeze and asbestos to toys and televisions.
- Waste-Free Lunches – get tips on how to start a waste-free lunch program at your child’s school and find out where to buy lead-free laptop lunch kits.
Find Out How to Get Rid of Junk Mail
- Catalog Choice – save a few million trees and get rid of those unwanted catalogs!
- Green Dimes – this service promises to stop up to 90% of your junk mail and will plant 10 trees on your behalf.
Find Out How to Get Organic Produce Delivered
- Local Harvest – enter your zipcode on the homepage to find the local Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs) in your area.
Find Out How to Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
- Consumer’s Guide to Carbon Offsets – skip to appendix A on page 25 for a list of the top-performing carbon offset providers and their websites.
Find Out About Chemicals in Your Child’s Environment
- The Z Report on BPA in Children’s Feeding Products – find out how many great companies are truly BPA-free and which four children’s feeding product companies earned “Top Pick” status.
- Bisphenol A Portal – get the latest news on Bisphenol A and baby products
- PBDE-Free Manufacturer and Product List – a list of manufacturers and products (from mattresses to computer monitors) that do not contain PBDEs
- The EPA Lists Chemicals That Are In Our Environment And Dangerous To Our Children